Wednesday, November 12, 2008

At A Loss

I think before I speak, always. I self edit. I search for the right words. When I can’t find the right ones, I choose not to use any. I’d rather sit in silence than wade through words that don’t belong. So when I’m with this girl who’s going to die, I can’t find anything. I’m sorry. I have no idea what you’re going through. You have no idea how strong you are. When you cry in pain I feel a knot in my stomach and a lump in my throat and I can’t even begin to imagine how your mother feels. I wish I could do more for you. I think you’re funny and beautiful. I am angry for you and scared for you and sad for you. This isn’t fair. None of this is right. So I sit down, hold her hand, and breathe with her. I’ll forget about finding the words for now, and focus instead on finding the breath. It’s harder than it sounds.

No comments: