Friday, June 11, 2010

Pulling Teeth

This kid has been through it all, so I am shocked when he comes to me in tears. I scan him quickly, looking for any visible injury- swelling, bleeding- and find none. He opens his mouth and points to his front tooth as he rotates it with his tongue. His eyes widen. I tell him it's ok, the tooth will fall out. He shakes his head fervently and points to me. He wants me to do it. He's crying now, mouth still open. Oh boy. I check his platelet levels and his bleeding times and take a deep breath. I twist slowly with gloved fingers; his tooth, hanging on by a thread, gives up. We sigh in relief, he and I together. He smiles that classic toothless grin. "Do you think the tooth fairy will find me here? You know, cause I changed rooms today?" he asks, panic rising. And I am floored. He knows he can't have soda because of his kidneys. He know he can go home when his counts come up. He knows what it's like to sit alone in a bone marrow transplant room for weeks. He knows central lines and nephrostomy tubes. He knows what it's like to be so sick he can't eat for weeks. Or go to school. He knows fever, neutropenia, relapse. He knows all this and he believes in the tooth fairy. Which means tonight I get to be the tooth fairy. Because if he believes, then so do I.

1 comment:

Kevichna said...

Thanks for sharing all this, Julie.